Monday, July 04, 2011

Teens and Near 60 Year Olds

OK - you're probably tired of hearing this by now, but one more time: I recently blew up our electric lawn mower! Long story - and though quite hilarious, let's not go there again, 'kay?  This was several weeks ago.  So yeah, several weeks worth of growth (fueled by lots of rain) since the lawn was last touched!  You guessed it, beyond knee-high in July!!  This week I was finally able to replace the mower ... with an old fashioned, non-motorized, push-type, 14" mower! 

At the time I thought it would be good for son (a teen), as he's been saying he wants to start working out and getting in better shape.  For those of us who remember, what better way to get in shape than with a push-type mower, right?  And a small one to boot, to do a rather large and difficult yard!

What I had forgotten about, of course, is that talk is cheap!  And when it comes to teen talk, rarely followed through with actual action!

So guess who's been getting in shape and getting that workout -- aching joints and all!?!!  I'm nearing 60, the house is usually filled with teen boys, especially on the weekends.  What's wrong with this picture?  :)

OK, I am exagerating and poking a bit of fun.  Son did (grudgingly) come to my rescue today when I was only able to do half the yard.  When it's cooler later this evening, we next need to figure out how to do the week whacking without a weed whacker!

2 comments:

Middle Child said...

I am amazed at how many of us 60's and near 60's are still doing stuff that we would not have let our parents did but that kids let us do!!! Are we too liberated? Did we do too much? Do we make out we are okay and still young when we need help?

Eternally Curious said...

AH, my dear MC - I do believe you've hit the nail on the head!